07717 572775
01592 715465
Telephone St Andrews Taxi Service for Minibus and Taxi hire in Fife on 07717 572775 or 01592 714250

Taxi hire to all St Andrews' tourist attractions and local travel locations

St Andrews is steeped in history with its cobbled streets, cathedral ruins, ancient castle and university. Whatever the weather, you will always find something interesting to do in St Andrews and wherever you choose to go we are on hand to take you there quickly, safely and with a friendly smile.

New Byre Theatre

Founded in 1933 by Alexander B Paterson, a playwright and journalist, the Byre Theatre quickly developed an impressive reputation for its varied and challenging programme of artistic performances.

It was demolished in 1969 to make way for a proposed housing development plan, but local objections were raised to this plan and funds were successfully raised to rebuild the Byre in 1970.

Later upgrades to the building, started in 1989, have seen the Byre emerge as a fully equipped modern community theatre with a strong brand name and a reputation for quality events.

St Andrews University

St Andrews University

The University of St Andrews, is a registered charity. Founded in 1413, it is the oldest in Scotland and has developed an esteemed reputation for excellence in research and teaching.

The student community, now drawn from 100 countries, has grown to support the University Court strategy to become a truly international centre of learning.

Currently, The Academic Senate oversees an effective organisational structure of 4 Faculties, 18 Academic Schools and 17 Support Service Units, all of which are managed from the Principal's Office.

There is a thriving, independent Students' Association, responsible for the smooth running of the Students' Union and Students' Societies. Funding of the Students' Association is by student-run activities, topped up by an annual grant from the University.

St. Rule Tower

St. Rule Tower

The tower was built around c1130 as a guiding light for pilgrims arriving by sea to visit the shrine of St Andrew. It also served as a place of worship for the resident Canons Regular of St. Augustine. They were the Catholic priests who replaced the Culdees and who lived according to strict evangelical counsels.

Kinburn Park

Kinburn Park

Within the grounds of Kinburn Park, only a stone's throw from the University is found the St Andrews Museum. In summer the Park displays the most beautiful array of well-kept flower beds and gardens.

A varied programme of events, exhibitions and activities are on offer throughout the year in the Kinburn Gallery of the Museum.

British Golf Museum

British Golf Museum

The British Golf Museum is the world's heritage centre for golf. It stands nearby the famous Old Course and the Royal and Ancient Golf club, golf's governing body and organiser of The Open Championship.

The Museum contains multimedia displays and many exhibitions accumulated over 500 hundred years of golfing history.

St Andrews Aquarium

St Andrews Aquarium

Walk east along The Scores from Golf Place, and you will find St Andrews Aquarium standing on the cliffs which face northwards over the West Sands and St Andrews Bay.

The Aquarium boasts a varied, exciting and dangerous selection of marine life cleverly displayed in underground glass fronted tanks with ample viewing areas. There is also an outside arena where visitors can enjoy a picnic, while watching seals at play.

Gatty Marine Laboratory

Opened in 1896, The Gatty Marine Laboratory is the home of the Scottish Oceans Institute, an organisation dedicated to the furtherance of study in marine science and the marine environment.

It also serves as an advanced research and teaching resource for the University of St Andrews as they strive to better understand and develop plans to manage the future of the world's oceans.

St Andrews Arts Festival

The festival, now in its 14th year, has at its core on 30 November, a celebration of St Andrew's Day, which commemorates Scotland's patron saint, Saint Andrew.

Each year visitors flock to enjoy the delights of Scotland's rich culture of traditional and classical music; arts and crafts; dance and drama.

Other Places of Interest in some Local Towns of Fife

Crail

Crail, Fife

One of the oldest Royal Burghs in Scotland, it was granted its charter in 1178. Worth a visit is, the 12th century St Mary's Church, the 17th century Market Cross, the 18th century Tolbooth, the 17th century Customs House, Crail Museum and Heritage Centre and Crail Pottery.

Anstruther

Anstruther, Fife

Anstruther is the largest of the East Neuk of Fife coastal villages. Worth a visit is, the Harbour, where summer pleasure trips aboard The Princess of May sail for the Isle of May, the Scottish Fisheries Museum, The Secret Bunker and the best award winning fish and chip shop in Scotland.

Pittenweem

Pittenweem, Fife

Traditional and still active, fishing port on the East Neuk of Fife. Worth a visit is, Kellie Castle, Lorimer's Sculpture Studio, the Arts & Crafts garden, and Gyles House, a self-catering property.

St. Monans

St. Monans, Fife

Another traditional fishing village in the East Neuk of Fife. Worth a visit is, the Harbourmaster's Office, the Slipway, Newark Castle, St Monans Windmill, and Miller's Shipbuilding shed.

While you are in the East Neuk, look out for even more links type golf courses which stretch along the many small fishing villages which border the Fife Coast line.

St Andrews History

St Andrews Cathedral Ruins

Since it was founded in 1140 by King David I, St Andrews has always been a centre for pilgrimage. Early Christian travellers flocked to pay homage to Scotlandís Patron Saint while the academic elite were drawn to the oldest University in the country. But a new breed of pilgrim is drawn to St Andrews these days, one who wishes to visit the Royal & Ancient golf club or to play, at least once in their lifetime, on the hallowed turf of The Old Course.

However, St Andrews was not always a place of calm rolling links on which to play; an inspiring place to study; or a bracing holiday location by the sea. Its early history paints a very different picture of turbulent times, sieges, destruction of property and religious unrest.

Archaeological evidence indicates that Celtic-speaking people inhabited the St Andrews area some 8000 years ago. Further evidence confirms that a Roman camp was established near St Andrews in 52 AD.

The Culdees holy men arrived in St Andrews at the beginning of the ninth century. Their impact on St Andrews society was felt until the monarchy in feudal Scotland began to resist the church.

The name, St Andrews, is derived from the relics of the Apostle St Andrew which were brought to Kilrymont by a Greek monk known as St Rule, or St Regulus. During the Middle Ages, St Andrews developed into an important religious centre for pilgrims who came in search of a cure for illness, atonement for their sins, or to worship at the shrine of the Apostle and Martyr. Because of this prominence afforded to St Andrew during this early historical period, it was only natural that he became Patron Saint of Scotland.

By the year 975, the diocese of St Andrews was well established and the Bishop of St Andrews was appointed the senior bishop for all Scotland. In the year 1160, St Andrews Cathedral was founded. It was severely damaged in the great fire of 1378, and again in 1409 as a result of violent storm damage. However, the Cathedral maintained its position as a pilgrimage centre for hundreds of years.

The Protestant Reformation in Scotland turned its fury on St Andrews and the Cathedral and on the 14th June 1559, at the end of a public speech by John Knox, a mob descended on the Cathedral "to purge the kirk and break down the altars and images and all kind of idolatrie…" This violent event left the Cathedral in a ruined state and ended four hundred years of worship.

In the year 1200, a new home was provided for the Bishops of St Andrews, when St Andrews Castle was built on the site of the ruined Cathedral. The Castle suffered damage by cannon fire during this turbulent period of religious unrest, and although it was later rebuilt, in 1559 the Protestant reformers seized the Castle.

Gradually a period of calm returned to St Andrews and on 28 August 1413, the University of St Andrews was established, when full University status was conferred on it by Pope Benedict XIII.

In 1614, St Andrews was made a Burgh of Regality and later, in 1620 James VI pronounced it a Royal Burgh.

Mary Queen of Scots visited St Andrews in 1562 when she stayed in a house on South Street. That house was named Queen Mary's House, and now serves as a library for St Leonard's school.

For thousands of years, St Andrews may have had a significant impact on the history of Scotland. Past religious and academic events in the city may have helped shape the character and religion of the Scottish nation and its place in the world. But the international impact of St Andrews has been assured in the modern era as a result of the development of golf and the emergence of St Andrews as the recognised Home of Golf.